Format of the event
(Please scroll down to read all details)
The annual Windlesham Boxing Day Pram Race is fancy dress, charity event that sees runners complete a 3.5 mile course through Windlesham village stopping at local pubs along the way.
Advanced entries close Midnight Friday 23rd December.
Teams entering after 23rd December should allow plenty of time to register
and pay on the morning.
26th December 2016:
From 09:30 Scrutineering, judging and photographs commence.
10:30 Fastest Pram racers depart.
10:35 First batch of 20 teams start. Scrutineering etc continues.
10:40 Second batch of 20 teams start and so on.
13:30 Race finishes and prizes are awarded. (approx)
15:30 Last road closures are removed.
The event starts at Highams Hall/Kamkorp Park (formerly Linde Group/BOC) on the Chertsey Road and finishes at The Windlesham Club & Theatre, Kennel Lane, where the prizes are awarded. On route racers will visit The Brickmakers Arms, The Surrey Cricketers, The Sun, The Half Moon and The Bee pubs.
The event is open to anyone able to complete the course and not just to those living in the Village. There is no minimum age limit but organisers feel that the event is unsuitable for children under 10 years old. Teams sizes are not limited but ‘prams’ should be based on a pram-sized chassis or similar pedestrian propelled vehicle - not a shopping trolley as the supermarkets are getting tired of losing them! They must be safe to race and capable of completing the course in one piece. Each team is required to have at least one runner over the age of 18.
Each entry will be judged by the Mayor at the Start and prizes will be awarded in three categories:
• Fastest – The John Sanderson trophy for the team that completes the course in the quickest time.
• Best Dressed - 1st, 2nd and 3rd places for teams considered to have the most imaginative, humorous, original and creatively designed prams. Particular credit will be given to those that are'homemade'.
• Best Engineered – the Andy D’Agata trophy for the pram considered to be of the most outstanding, innovative and imaginative construction.
Fastest Pram Race – Rules:
Teams entering the Fastest Pram event race for the honour of winning the magnificent John Sanderson Trophy. They race under the following rules:
• Teams for this race must enter in advance and by 23rd December at the latest
• A pram is any pedestrian propelled vehicle deemed safe by the organisers - no motor or mechanically propelled vehicles will qualify eg. Bicycles etc.
• Each team will have at least 2 people – one person must always be in the pram whilst running. At least one runner must be over 18 years of age.
• Runners must have a drink (alcoholic or otherwise) at each pub and will be given a token at each pub to indicate that all racers have consumed their drink before leaving.
• The teams can only move onto the next pub once they have their token. The tokens will then be handed to the Marshal at the finish, at which time the team’s time will be recorded.
• A team will be deemed to have finished the event when both racers have consumed their drinks at The Club & Theatre and had the correct number of tokens collected. The team finishing first with all its tokens will be the winner.
• The Race Marshals will decide whether the teams have completed the event in accordance with the rules. Their decision is final.
GENERAL RULES FOR ALL ENTRANTS
At the start, Team Captains will register their teams, collect a team number, collecting bucket and coloured wristband for each racer. They will then be directed towards the start line, passing en route, the Mayor who will judge the entry, and the Scrutineers who will ensure that the ‘pram’ and racers are safe to race. Once they have completed this process. Teams entering the Fastest Pram event will start first with other teams starting in groups of approximately 20 in order to stagger the flow of runners through the Village. A photograher will also be present to take team photos available on-line after the event.
Along the Route:
Teams are encouraged to collect as much money as they can in their buckets from spectators along the route. Apart from those chasing the prize for the Fastest Pram, this is not a timed race although teams should ensure that they progress quickly enough to reach the finish before most of the roads are reopened at 14:00. Teams that have not made it past Matthews Corner (junction of Church Road and School Lane) by 13:30 will be sent straight to the finish and will not be allowed to progress to The Bee.
Runners are invited to buy a drink (not necessarily alcoholic) at each pub although it’s not compulsory unless racing in the Fastest Pram event. Participants drinking alcohol are reminded to do so responsibly. Racers carrying alcohol on their prams will be stopped at the start of the race the the alcohol confiscated to be collected at the finish.
The finish and prize giving will take place at The Club & Theatre in order to reduce congestion in the centre of the village after the event and to ensure prizes are awarded earlier, allowing those who wish to disperse earlier to do so.
The course will be closed to traffic from 10:00am but will reopen behind the last placed team as it completes the route. This means that racers leaving The Club & Theatre at the finish to return to home or to the centre of the Village must be aware that the roads are open to traffic and that they walk in the road at their own risk.
Several photographers will take pictures at the Start and Finish. These will be posted in the Gallery shortly after the event.